An Easy Anytime Treat for Your Little Monkeys
Cinnamon rolls are a near-irresistible treat, but they do require a lot of time and work. Monkey bread captures the same flavors with a lot less time and effort, which makes it an ideal anytime treat when you're in the mood for something fresh-baked with sugary goodness. This monkey bread recipe uses frozen bread dough for maximum convenience, and adds caramel sauce to make the finished bread even more delightfully addictive.
Total Time: 60 to 70 minutes | Prep Time: 10 minutes | Serves: 12 to 16
- 2 loaves (1 pound each) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1/2 cup butter, melted, plus more for the pan
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, tightly packed
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup caramel ice cream topping, or other caramel sauce
- Use a pastry brush to coat the inside of a large Bundt pan or tube pan with melted butter. Heat your oven to 350F.
- Cut each loaf of dough into 20 to 24 small balls. Pour the melted butter into a large mixing bowl, then add the dough balls. Toss until they're evenly coated with butter.
- Combine the sugars and cinnamon in a small bowl, and then sprinkle them over the dough balls and toss again. Finally, drizzle the balls with the caramel syrup and toss once more.
- Pack the dough balls in layers into your tube pan. Let the dough rise in a warm place for 30 to 40 minutes, or until it has roughly doubled in size.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the monkey bread is golden and firmly set. Remove the pan from your oven to a cooling rack. Let the bread rest in the pan for 2 to 3 minutes, then turn the pan over and tip the bread out onto a serving plate. Serve as soon as it has cooled enough not to burn those little monkey fingers.
- If you wish, you can glaze the warm monkey bread with a simple flat icing—milk and powdered sugar, whisked together—or with regular vanilla icing from the supermarket, warmed gently in the microwave until it's just barely pourable.
- To make the monkey bread even more kid-friendly, you can "s'more-ify" it by scattering a handful each of chocolate chips and mini-marshmallows between the layers.
- For a more adult version, scatter coarsely chopped walnuts or pecans between the dough balls.