How to Make French Toast in Minutes
You don’t need to slave away in the kitchen at the start of a hectic day to create a decadent, filling breakfast that your whole family will adore. This simple French toast recipe takes minutes to prepare, minutes to cook and probably minutes to gobble down—though taking time to chew well and enjoy is important! Whip up a batch while your kids get ready for school, doubling the recipe if needed, so you have plenty to savor yourself.
Total Time: 5 minutes | Prep Time: 5 minutes | Serves: 4
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup low-fat milk
- 4 slices bread
- Butter or vegetable oil
Pure maple syrup, for topping
1 banana or 1 cup fresh berries (optional)
- In a shallow dish, beat the egg, vanilla and cinnamon together.
- Dip the bread into the mixture, one slice at a time.
- Grill the dipped slices on a lightly greased griddle or skillet over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until both sides are browned to your liking.
- Serve topped with butter, maple syrup and fresh fruit, as desired.
- For an especially nutritious option, use whole grain bread.
- If you prefer eggier French toast, use 2 large eggs.
- For crispier French toast, stick to 1 egg, but grill each side an extra minute.