Satisfy Your Sweet Tooth Without Ruining Your Diet
Key lime pie is sweet and refreshing. But with ingredients like sweetened condensed milk, egg yolks, butter and sugar, it's not exactly diet food. However, Weight Watchers has a lower-calorie, lower-fat version of this chilled dessert that might satisfy your need for a sweet ending to your meal yet doesn't jeopardize your weight-loss efforts. And it only takes 30 minutes to make, not including the time for chilling, which means it's something you can easily put together after work.
One slice of Weight Watchers key lime pie has 9 SmartPoints. These points are based on its calorie, sugar, fat and protein content. Any weight-loss plan such as Weight Watchers also aims to improve your eating habits by incorporating healthier foods, such as fruits, vegetables and lean proteins – which have fewer points than treats like key lime pie.
This recipe is adapted from the original Weight Watchers recipe, and points may be slightly different.
Total Time: 2 to 3 hours | Prep Time: 15 minutes | Serves: 12
- 1 1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 14-ounce can fat-free sweetened condensed milk
- 4 egg whites
- 3/4 cup lime juice
- 3/4 cup fat-free whipped topping
- 2 teaspoons lime zest
- In a medium bowl, mix together the graham cracker crumbs and butter. Pour into a 9-inch pie plate and mold to the tin to form the crust. Bake in a 325F oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Take the crust out of the oven and allow it to cool.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the condensed milk, egg whites and lime juice, and pour it into pie crust. Place the pie on a baking sheet, and bake in a 325F oven for 15 minutes or until the center is set.
- Allow the pie to cool on the counter for 30 minutes, and then place it in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours to chill completely.
- Spread whipped topping over the top of the pie and sprinkle with lime zest. Serve chilled.
- To save time, use a store-bought pie crust and then prepare the filling according to the recipe directions. To save on points, use a reduced-fat prepared graham cracker crust.
- For a no-bake low-calorie key lime pie, mix together 1 package of suger-free lime gelatin with 1/4 cup of boiling water. Stir in a 6-ounce container of nonfat vanilla Greek yogurt and an 8-ounce container of nonfat whipped topping. Pour the key lime mixture into a prepared graham cracker pie crust and refrigerate for 2 or more hours.