Mom Swears Off Metal Barbecue Brushes After Child's Harrowing X-Ray | Working Mother

Mom Swears Off Metal Barbecue Brushes After Child's Harrowing X-Ray

They're more dangerous than you think.

Love busting out the grill and cooking up some delicious barbecue for your family and friends in the summer? You may want to steer clear of using a certain tool when it's time to clean up all the stuck-on food on the grill grates. According to a Canada-based mom, her 4-year-old son landed in the hospital because metal barbecue brush bristles were stuck in his throat.

The mother, Jenna Kuchik, says that just minutes after eating barbecue chicken one evening, son Ollie "started crying and complaining there was something stuck and hurting his throat." Suspecting a wire from the metal brush was lodged in his throat, she says that they "checked the other chicken that wasn't eaten yet and found another bristle there too."

An X-ray proved their suspicions, and Ollie ended up staying at one hospital for two hours, gagging and spitting and not being able to swallow the whole time. Ollie was then transported to Stollery's Children's Hospital via ambulance at the recommendation of his doctor because of the location of the wire.

In the operating room, doctors were able to remove not just one but two metal bristles from his throat.

Jenna shared her story to the Love What Matters Facebook page yesterday, and so far, the post has gotten more than 10k shares and 3.2k comments. Some users chimed in saying they've had similar experiences with metal barbecue brush bristles being accidentally swallowed, while others shared tips on ways to more effectively clean a grill. One user said, "Ball up some aluminum foil and use tongs or something to hold it. You can clean your grill that way. Or just take a half onion and clean the grill with that. It works if the grill isn't really dirty."

Looking back at the whole experience, Jenna says, "It was the most awful and difficult 24 hours of my life watching my son in so much pain, not being able to do anything to make it better and know that this could have been 100 percent avoidable." She even admits that her family has a new wooden BBQ grill cleaner that's still in its original packaging that they could've used instead.

The mom hopes sharing her story can help others. "He was such an amazing, strong, brave boy (even after not being allowed to eat or drink for almost 24 hours) and I am so grateful he is OK, but I just don't ever want something like this to happen to someone else," she writes.

Latest


More


Career